Friday 9 August 2013

Prof. Brain Cox talks about promoting science

A little off-topic once again but I think in keeping with the science theme of this blog.

I think it is desperately important for people of all ages to engage in science. Science isn't just that lesson you fell asleep in in High School because your teacher was a stuffy bore. It's live, relevant, exciting, constantly progressing.
When I was a small child I thought I couldn't be a scientist because everything had been discovered, gravity, electricity, wave-particle duality et cetera ... how wrong I was and woe betide any teacher who makes a child think otherwise!

Part of the reason why I chose the field of Earth Sciences as my subject (despite my love of bangs and sparks of physics and chemistry) is because at a grass roots, non-high powered electron microscope, level there are still discoveries to be made. Although I've discovered that high powered scanning electron microscopes do produce some intense images of samples. Like this:

This is a piece of volcanic ash
In recent times great advocates for science have appeared on television, the airways, the internet and in books. Chief among these is Professor Brian Cox of the University of Manchester. With his boyish good looks and a winning smile he's woo'ed the hearts of the nation and with any luck their ears too while he plainly, effectively and, most importantly, enthusiastically, shared his love of science.

I saw an article about the science shows being put on at the Edinburgh Fringe this year. One of the scientists doing a show and self-identifies as a nerd said this:

"We're trying to redefine nerd as not being someone who sits in their room and never talks to anyone.
Being a nerd is being unable to stop yourself communicating this cool stuff.
 We cannot conceive that people would not be interested in this stuff."
- Helen Arney

It's no surprise that enthusiasm for material is what gets other people engaged. It's infectious. 
I think back to the teachers I really loved in High School and I know that the reasons why I loved them and loved their subject is because they did too. They wanted to show us how cool their subject was, they bubbled with enthusiasm and where even more excited when you showed interest back. (I'm sure it must be crushing though to have people in your class who don't give a damn. I mean, I find it hard when my friends eyes glaze over when I talk about rocks).

But I promised Brian Cox so here he is giving a speech at the Institute of Physics after being presented with the President's Medal:


And if you want even more Brian Cox, here's his BBC programme 'A Night with the Stars':
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQ28aA9gGo

Vive la Science!

References:

More info and origin of the ash picture: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/about/pglossary/ash.php


No comments:

Post a Comment