Saturday 26 November 2011

Reading widely, reading for fun!

It's a curious thing, but as soon as you are expected to read up about something you're interested in, it suddenly becomes a chore.

I know that it was the case last year when the concept of 'wider reading' filled me with dread and in so doing managed to kill off the one thing that spurred my original interest in geology. Reading books... about geology!

A straw poll would probably reveal that a lot of students (regardless of subject) feel this way. And when they do 'get round' to doing some wider reading (probably on a train in a moment of boredom) it's likely that they will read about something they enjoy first, and something they find less interesting within their subject later, or not at all, depending.

My new term resolution was to do more wider reading this year, which I have managed to do. However, I still fall into the trap of reading things that I find interesting and not things that would actually potentially make the less interesting areas of my course more interesting. Funny that.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted about that!

Coming up in the next few blog posts I might do a piece about things people ask google about the Earth and maybe some edible geology.


The only good time to be stuck between a rock and a hard place is in a canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment