Friday 25 November 2011

A 'hello world' and a brief speel about academic interests

Hello!
Welcome to my blog.

I'd been planning to make a blog in one form or another for quite a while. But! I've finally managed to overcome my crippling sense of dread about sharing my thoughts about geology with the world and started this blog.
You maybe wondering about the blog title, well, I'm a geologist and I knitted myself a Tom Baker Doctor Who scarf. Simple really. You might also wonder why I'm called 'LostTimeLady'. She's my Internet persona and you might see that name crop up on a few other sites.

Anyway, I wanted to not have this post just about hellos and instead I thought I'd type a little about the areas of geology I'm interested in, just so you know what to expect over the time you read my blog:

Keen interest Number One:

Igneous! Yes, I like volcanoes, lava flows, mid-ocean ridges, super volcanoes, articles about granites and everything in between. I also enjoy studying them under the microscope.

Interest Number Two:

Geochemistry. This is something I've only really started to study this year but boy do I love it. Current reading in this area is 'Radiogenic Isotope Geology' by Alan P. Dickin.

Interest Number Three:

Edible geology. No not just licking salt crystals (I've actually never done it!) but instead modelling geological processes using the power of food. Yum!

There's a few other things I'm interested in (such as minerals and gemstones) but that's about all for now.

Live long and keep mining!

No comments:

Post a Comment